[Python-Dev] a>b == b<a dangerous?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:31:41 +1300 (NZDT)

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:

> Does this have something to do with comparisons?  That is, wouldn't the same
> be true if you coded two methods named "spam" and "eggs" in this
> way?

Yes, but Guido hasn't decreed that a.spam(b) and b.eggs(a) are
to have a reflective relationship with each other.

But don't worry - I've belatedly realised that the correct way
to do what I was talking about is to return NotImplemented and
let the interpreter take care of calling the reflected method.
So I withdraw my objection.