[Python-Dev] PEP 229 checked in

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:26:34 -0500

> This brings me to another point: how can 'make test' work at all ? Does
> python always check for './Lib' (and './Modules') for modules ?

Look at the logic in Modules/getpath.c, which calculates the initial
(default) sys.path.  It detects that it's running from the build tree
and then modifies the default path a bit to include Lib and Modules
relative to where the python executable was found.

> If that's
> specific for 'make test' and running python in the source distribution, that
> sounds like a bit of a weird hack. I can't find any such hackery in the
> source, but I also can't figure out how else it's working :)

It's not jut for 'make test' -- it's to make life easy for developers
in general (and me in particular :-) who want to try out their hacks
without going through 'make install'.