[Python-Dev] Someone should be shot

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:31:22 +0100

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:27:02AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Bottom line (IMHO), this is just something about email that is and
> will forever remain broken.  Given that, it was voted a long while
> back to make Reply-To for checkins point to python-dev so until
> there's a hue and cry to change it back, I'll leave it as is.  And
> yeah, it bites me sometimes too!

I've said this before, on the Mailman-devel list, but I'll repeat it here
for the record (in case this issue ever comes up for vote again :)

The main bite (for me) is that to reply to a person in private, you have to
cut&paste the 'From' header from the original mail, and edit your new mail's
headers, in order to reply to a specific person. My mailer is mature enough
to have a 'reply', 'reply-group' and 'reply-list' keybinding, so the
'Reply-To' only interferes. There probably is a
'reply-to-from-ignoring-replyto' keybinding in there, too, somewhere, or it
could be added, but remembering to type that different key is almost as much
trouble as typing the email address by hand ;P

So, my vote, like Moshe's, is just back from a sex change, and reads 'no'.

Recount-recount-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>