[Python-Dev] autoconfigure patch submitted on SourceForge

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:09:54 -0500

    GvR> It was more work than I had hoped for, because Eric
    GvR> apparently (despite having developer privileges!) doesn't use
    GvR> the CVS tree -- he sent in a diff relative to the 2.0
    GvR> release.  I munged it into place, adding the feature that
    GvR> readline, _curses and bsdddb are built as shared libraries by
    GvR> default.  You'd have to edit Setup.config.in to change this.
    GvR> Hope this doesn't break anybody's setup.  (Skip???)

We may need to move dbm module to Setup.config from Setup and build it
shared too.  The problem I ran into when building the pybsddb3 module
was that even though I'd built the standard bsddb shared, I was also
building in dbm statically.  This pulled in a dependency to the old
db.so module (under RH6.1) and core dumped me during the test suite
for pybsddb.  Commenting out dbm did the trick, so building it shared
should work too.

Couple of things: dbm isn't enabled by default I believe so moving it
to Setup.config may not be the right thing after all (would that imply
an autoconf test and auto-enabling if it's detected?)  Also, Andrew's
distutils-based build procedure may obviate the need for this change.

-Barry