[Python-Dev] Std test failures on WIndows: test_compare, test_minidom

Neil Schemenauer nas@arctrix.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:38:53 -0800

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 07:30:26PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> > AFAICT, the problem is that instances without a comparison method can
> > compare larger or smaller than numbers depending on where in memory
> > the objects are stored.
>
> If so, that's a bug ... OK, it *is* a bug, at least in current CVS.  Did you
> cause that, or was it always this way?

To quote Bart Simpson: I didn't do it.  I'm pretty sure the bug
is in PyInstance_DoBinOp.  I don't think its worth fixing though.
I'm ready to check in my coercion overhaul patch, assuming no
veto's from the list.  It should fix this bug (and introduce a
whole slew of new ones :).

Guido suggested that I remove the "number types compare smaller
than other types" behavior.  What's your take on that?  The
current patch on SF always uses the type names.  It should be
easy to implement the old behavior though.

  Neil