[Python-Dev] RE: Please use __progress__ instead of __future__ (was Other situations like this)

Michael Hudson mwh21@cam.ac.uk
24 Feb 2001 00:10:00 +0000

"Tim Peters" <tim.one@home.com> writes:

> [Peter Funk]
> > I believe __future__ is a bad name.  What appears today as the bright
> > shining future will be the distant dusty past of tomorrow.  But the
> > name of the module is not going to change anytime soon.  right?
>
> The name of what module?
>
> Any statement of the form
>
>     from __future__ import shiny
>
> becomes unnecessary as soon as shiny's future arrives, at which point the
> statement can be removed.  The statement is necessary only so long as shiny
> *is* in the future.  So the name is thoroughly appropriate.

Ever been to Warsaw?  There's the Old Town, which was built around
1650.  Then there's the New Town, which was built around 1700.  (The
dates may be wrong).  I think this is what Peter was talking about.

also-see-New-College-Oxford-ly y'rs
M.

--
  MAN:  How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to
        account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical