[Python-Dev] regrtest.py mystery

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:32:00 -0500 (EST)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > How about following Fred's suggestion to run each test in a separate
 > process (possibly as an option to regrtest.py) ?!

  I wasn't really suggesting it, but it would solve this particular
problem.  Note that the effectiveness of this to solve this particular
problem depends on the set of modules regrtest itself imports; if it
imports something and catches an ImportError, using a simple fork() to
create the child is not sufficient.  Using fork()/exec() would be
extremely slow and should be avoided if we can.
  Frankly, I like that we find interactions between the tests, so I'm
not convinced that there are any real problems with the test
framework.  I do use to a C unit test package that uses fork() to make
sure individual tests can't core the framework, but that's not what
we're protecting against here.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>