[Python-Dev] codecs question

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:47:01 +0200 (MET DST)

> the "unicodenames" patch (which replaces ucnhash) includes this
> functionality -- but with a little distance, I think it's better to add
> it to the unicodedata module.
>=20
> (it's included in the step 4 patch, soon to be posted to a patch
> manager near you...)

Sounds good. Is there any chance to use this in codecs, then?
I'm thinking of

>>> print u"\N{COPYRIGHT SIGN}".encode("ascii-ucn")
\N{COPYRIGHT SIGN}
>>> print u"\N{COPYRIGHT SIGN}".encode("latin-1-ucn")
=A9

Regards,
Martin

P.S. Some people will recognize this as the disguised question 'how
can I convert non-convertable characters using the XML entity
notation?'