[Python-Dev] Python 2.0 beta 2 pre-release

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:58:48 -0400 (EDT)

  Jeremy> We'll have to be a lot more careful about the 2.0 final
  Jeremy> release.  PEP 200 has a tenative ship date of Oct. 10.  We
  Jeremy> should probably have a code freeze on Oct. 6 and leave the
  Jeremy> weekend and Monday for verifying that there are no build
  Jeremy> problems on little- and big-endian platforms.

  SM> Since you can't test on all platforms, if you fix
  SM> platform-specific bugs bettween now and final release, I suggest
  SM> you make bundles (tar, Windows installer, whatever) available
  SM> (without need for CVS) and specifically ask the people who
  SM> reported those bugs to check things out using the appropriate
  SM> bundle(s).

Good idea!  I've set up a cron job that will build a tarball every
night at 3am and place it on the ftp server at python.beopen.com:
    ftp://python.beopen.com/pub/python/snapshots/

I've started things off with a tar ball I built just now.
    Python-2.0b2-devel-2000-09-28.tar.gz

Tommy -- Could you use this snapshot to verify that the unicode test
is fixed?

Jeremy