[Python-Dev] Python 2.0 beta 2 pre-release

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:59:52 -0400 (EDT)

  MAL> [Tim Peters wrote about the test_unicodedata.py glitch]:
  >>
  >> [MAL]
  >> > It is fixed in CVS ... don't know if the patch made it into the
  >> > release though. The new test now uses UTF-8 as encoding which
  >> > is endian-independent.
  >>
  >> Alas, it was not in the release.  I didn't even know about it
  >> until after the installers were all built and shipped.  Score
  >> another for last-second improvements <0.5 wink>.

  MAL> You're right. This shouldn't have been applied so close to the
  MAL> release date/time. Looks like all reviewers work on little
  MAL> endian machines...

Yes.  I was bit reckless; test_unicodedata and the latest distutils
checkins had been made in following the official code freeze and were
not being added to fix a showstopper bug.  I should have deferred
them.

We'll have to be a lot more careful about the 2.0 final release.  PEP
200 has a tenative ship date of Oct. 10.  We should probably have a
code freeze on Oct. 6 and leave the weekend and Monday for verifying
that there are no build problems on little- and big-endian platforms.

Jeremy