[Python-Dev] 2.0b2 is ... released?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 05:19:03 -0400

>> The other guys are sleeping and I'm on vacation.  It *appears* that our
>> West Coast webmasters may have finished doing their thing, so
>> pending Jeremy's official announcement perhaps you'd just like to
>> check it out:
>>
>>     http://www.pythonlabs.com/products/python2.0/
>>
>> I can't swear it's a release.  *Looks* like one, though!

[/F]
> the daily URL says so too:
>
>     http://www.pythonware.com/daily/

Thanks, /F!  I'll *believe* it's a release if I can ever complete
downloading the Windows installer from that site.  S-l-o-w!

> (but even though we removed some 2.5 megs of unicode stuff,
> the new tarball is nearly as large as the previous one.  less filling,
> more taste?)

Heh, I expected *that* one:  the fact that the Unicode stuff was highly
compressible wasn't lost on gzip either.  The Windows installer shrunk less
than 10%, and that includes savings also due to (a) not shipping two full
copies of Lib/ anymore (looked like an ancient stray duplicate line in the
installer script), and (b) not shipping the debug .lib files anymore.
There's a much nicer savings after it's all unpacked, of course.

Hey!  Everyone check out the "what's new in 2.0b2" section!  This was an
incredible amount of good work in a 3-week period, and you should all be
proud of yourselves.  And *especially* proud if you actually helped <wink>.

if-you-just-got-in-the-way-we-love-you-too-ly y'rs  - tim