[Python-Dev] Off-topic: common employee IP agreements?

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:13:00 -0400

Hi all --

sorry for the off-topic post.  I'd like to get a calibration reading
from other members of the open source community on an issue that's
causing some controversy around here: what sort of employee IP
agreements do other software/open source/Python/Linux/Internet-related
companies require their employees to sign?

I'm especially curious about companies that are prominent in the open
source world, like Red Hat, ActiveState, VA Linux, or SuSE; and big
companies that are involved in open source, like IBM or HP.  I'm also
interested in what universities, both around the world and in the U.S.,
impose on faculty, students, and staff.  If you have knowledge -- or
direct experience -- with any sort of employee IP agreement, though, I'm
curious to hear about it.  If possible, I'd like to get my hands on the
exact document your employer uses -- precedent is everything!  ;-)

Thanks -- and please reply to me directly; no need to pollute python-dev
with more off-topic posts.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376