[Python-Dev] linuxaudiodev test does nothing

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:16:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Charles G Waldman wrote:
> Alas, even after fixing this, I *still* can't get linuxaudiodev to
> play the damned .au file.  It works fine for the .wav formats.
>
> I'll continue hacking on this as time permits.

Just so you know -- i was definitely able to get this to work at
some point before when we were trying to fix this.  I changed
test_linuxaudiodev and it played the .AU file correctly.  I haven't
had time to survey what the state of the various modules is now,
though -- i'll have a look around and see what's going on.

Side note: is there a well-defined platform-independent sound
interface we should be conforming to?  It would be nice to have a
single Python function for each of the following things:

    1. Play a .wav file given its filename.

    2. Play a .au file given its filename.

    3. Play some raw audio data, given a string of bytes and a
       sampling rate.

which would work on as many platforms as possible with the same command.

A quick glance at audiodev.py shows that it seems to support only
Sun and SGI.  Should it be extended?

If someone's already in charge of this and knows what's up, let me know.
I'm sorry if this is common knowledge of which i was just unaware.

-- ?!ng