[Python-Dev] Release candidate followed by feature freeze?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 02 Oct 2000 14:19:24 -0500

> YES! I was hoping somebody would propose such a thing; I was quite
> concerned that check-in procedures are still that liberate.

Good.  We will have a release candidate then.

> To report how similar projects operate: In gcc, a CVS release branch
> is created at some point in time (usually months before the
> release). When the code is declared frozen, all changes to the release
> branch have to go through the release manager. After the release,
> "important" changes to the mainline branch are manually propagated to
> the release branch for subminor releases.

I am reluctant to use CVS branches (my experience with the branch for
1.6 suggests again that this is not at all smooth).

About the timing for the release candidate (RC): I think we need a
week +/- two days between the RC and the final release; this is needed
to make sure that the RC is actually tried out by enough people and
that the bug reports (if any) have been processed.  I believe we can
refrain from checkin in for a week but not much longer.

Fredrik Lundh mentions that he can't get his final batch of SRE
patches in before Saturday.  So the only realistic timing is to do the
RC on Monday (Oct 9) and the final release a week later (Oct 16).

Everybody okay with this?