[Python-Dev] SIG: python-lang

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 31 May 2000 14:21:04 -0400

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 01:49:17PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>I'm actually more worried about the second.  It's been a while since I
>read c.l.py and I'm occasionally disappointed to miss out on
>seemingly interesting threads.  On the other hand, there is no way I
>could manage to read or even filter the volume on that list.

Really?  I read it through Usenet with GNUS, and it takes about a half
hour to go through everything. Skipping threads by subject usually
makes it easy to avoid uninteresting stuff.

I'd rather see python-dev limited to very narrow, CVS-tree-related
material, such as: should we add this module?  is this change OK?
&c...  The long-winded language speculation threads are better left to
c.l.python, where more people offer opinions, it's more public, and
newsreaders are more suited to coping with the volume.  (Incidentally,
has any progress been made on reviving c.l.py.announce?)

OTOH, newbies have reported fear of posting in c.l.py, because they
feel the group is too advanced, what with everyone sitting around
talking about coroutines and SNOBOL string parsing.  But I think it's
a good thing if newbies see the high-flown chatter and get their minds
stretched. :)

--amk