[Python-Dev] OOps (was: No 1.6! (was Re: A REALLY COOL PYTHON FEATURE:))

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Mon, 22 May 2000 14:55:21 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Christian Tismer]
> > After all, it is no surprize. They are right.
> > If we have to change their mind in order to understand
> > a basic operation, then we are wrong, not they.
>
> [Tim]
> > Huh!  I would not have guessed that you'd give up on Stackless
> > that easily <wink>.
>
> [Chris]
> > Noh, I didn't give up Stackless, but fishing for soles.
> > After Just v. R. has become my most ambitious user,
> > I'm happy enough.
>
> I suspect you missed the point:  Stackless is the *ultimate* exercise in
> "changing their mind in order to understand a basic operation".  I was
> tweaking you, just as you're tweaking me <smile!>.

Squeek! Peace on earth :-)

And you are almost right on Stackless.
Almost, since I know of at least three new Python users who came
to Python *because* it has Stackless + Continuations. This is a very
new aspect to me.
Things are getting interesting now: Today I got a request from CCP
regarding continuations: They will build a masive parallel
multiplayer game with that. http://www.ccp.cc/eve

> > It is absolutely phantastic.
> > The most uninteresting stuff in the join is the separator,
> > and it has the power to merge thousands of strings
> > together, without asking the sequence at all
> >  - give all power to the suppressed, long live the Python anarchy :-)
>
> Exactly!  Just as love has the power to bind thousands of incompatible
> humans without asking them either:  a vote for space.join() is a vote for
> peace on earth.

hmmm - that's so nice...

So let's drop a generic join, and use string.love() instead.

> while-a-generic-join-builtin-is-a-vote-for-war<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

join-is-a-peacemaker-like-a-Winchester-Cathedral-ly y'rs - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>