[Python-Dev] win64 (was: [Patches] PC\config.[hc] changes for Win64)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 9 May 2000 11:56:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Guido van Rossum writes:
>  > Another view: win32 was my way of saying the union of Windows 95,
>  > Windows NT, and Windows 98, contrasted to Windows 3.1 and non-Windows
>  > platforms.  If Windows 2000 is sufficiently different to the user, it
>  > deserves a different platform id (win2000?).
>  >
>  > Is there a connection between Windows 2000 and _WIN64?
>
>   Since no one else has responded, here's some stuff from MS on the
> topic of Win64:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/platform/strategic/64bit.asp
>
> This document talks only of the Itanium (IA64) processor, and doesn't
> mention the Alpha at all.  I know the NT shipping on Alpha machines is
> Win32, though the actual application code can be 64-bit (think "32-bit
> Solaris on an Ultra"); just the system APIs are 32 bits.

Windows is no longer made/sold for the Alpha processor. That was canned in
August of '99, I believe. Possibly August 98.

Basically, Windows is just the x86 family, and Win/CE for various embedded
processors.

Cheers,
-g

--