[Python-Dev] buffer object

Finn Bock bckfnn@worldonline.dk
Mon, 08 May 2000 19:44:27 GMT

[Guido]

>I don't recall why JPython has jarray instead of array -- how do they
>differ?  I think it's a shame that similar functionality is embodied
>in different APIs.

The jarray module is a paper thin factory for the PyArray type which is
primary (I believe) a wrapper around any existing java array instance.
It exists to make arrays returned from java code useful for jpython.
Since a PyArray must always wrap the original java array, it cannot
resize the array.

In contrast an array instance would own the memory and can resize it as
necessary.

Due to the different purposes I agree with Jim's decision of making the
two module incompatible. And they are truly incompatible. jarray.array
have reversed the (typecode, seq) arguments.

OTOH creating a mostly compatible array module for jpython should not be
too hard.

regards,
finn