[Python-Dev] Help wanted with setup.py script

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:46:16 -0500

Want to help with the laudable goal of automating the Python build
process?  It'll need lots of testing on many different platforms, and
I'd like to start the process now.

First, download the setup.py script from
       http://www.amk.ca/files/python/setup.py

Next, drop it in the root directory of your Python source tree and run
"python setup.py build".

If it dies with an exception, let me know.  (Replies to this list are
OK.)

If it runs to completion, look in the Modules/build/lib.<something>
directory to see which modules got built.  (On my system, <something>
is "linux-i686-2.0", but of course this will depend on your platform.)

Is anything missing that should have been built?  (_tkinter.so is the
prime candidate; the autodetection code is far too simple at the
moment and assumes one particular version of Tcl and Tk.)  Did an
attempt at building a module fail?  These indicate problems
autodetecting something, so if you can figure out how to find the
required library or include file, let me know what to do.

--amk