[Python-Dev] curses in the core?

Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:52:02 +0100

> If curses is a core facility now, the default build should tread it
> as one.
> IMO ssl isn't an issue because it's not documented as being in the
> standard module set.
> 3. Documented as being in the core but not built in by default.
> My more general claim is that the existence of class 3 is a problem

In the case of curses, I believe there is a documentation error in the
2.0 documentation. The curses packages is listed under "Generic
Operating System Services". I believe this is wrong, it should be listed
as "Unix Specific Services".

Unless I'm mistaken, the curses module is not available on the Mac and
on Windows. With that change, the curses module would then fall into
Eric's category 2 (Not documented as being in the core and not built
in by default).

That documentation change should be carried out even if curses is
autoconfigured; autoconf is used on Unix only, either.

Regards,
Martin

P.S. The "Python Library Reference" content page does not mention the
word "core" at all, except as part of asyncore...