(offtopic) RE: [Python-Dev] Python 2.0 license and GPL (Splitting up _cursesmodule)

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:42:18 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:
> > Another issue: since Python doesn't link Python scripts, is it
> > still true that if one (pure) Python package is covered by the GPL,
> > then all other packages needed by that application will also fall
> > under GPL ?
>
> Sorry, couldn't make sense of the question.  Just as well, since you should
> ask about it on a GNU forum anyway <wink>.

The GNU license is transitive. It automatically extends on other
parts of a project, unless they are identifiable, independent
developments. As soon as a couple of modules is published together,
based upon one GPL-ed module, this propagates. I think this is
what MAL meant?
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what the GNU forum says.

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>