[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:49:59 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Thomas Wouters writes:
>  > (getrlimit *does* work, so if we have getrlimit, we can 'calculate' the
>  > maximum number of recursions from that.)
>
>   Still no go -- we can calculate the number of recursions for a
> particular call frame size (or expected mix of frame sizes, which is
> really the same), but we can't predict recursive behavior inside a C
> extension, which is a significant part of the problem (witness the SRE
> experience).  That's why PyOS_StackCheck() actually has to do more
> than test a counter -- if the counter is low but the call frames are
> larger than our estimate, it won't help.

Can my trick (which works only if Python has control of the main) of
comparing addresses of local variables against addresses of local
variables from main() and against the stack limit be used? 99% of the
people are using the plain Python interpreter with extensions, so it'll
solve 99% of the problem?
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.