[Python-Dev] Re: indexing, indices(), irange(), list.items() (was RE: [Python-Dev] Lockstep iteration - eureka!)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Schneider-Kamp writes:
 > What about 'indexing' xor 'in' ? Like that:
 >
 > for i indexing sequence:      # good
 > for e in sequence:            # good
 > for i indexing e in sequence: # BAD!
 >
 > This might help Guido to understand what it does in the
 > 'indexing' case. I admit that the third one may be a
 > bit harder to parse, so why not *leave it out*?

  I hadn't considered *not* using an "in" clause, but that is actually
pretty neat.  I'd like to see all of these allowed; disallowing "for i
indexing e in ...:" reduces the intended functionality substantially.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member