[Python-Dev] Re: os.path.commonprefix breakage

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:34:01 +1200 (NZST)

Skip:

> The previous behavior was clearly broken, however, because it was
> advancing character-by-character instead of directory-by-directory.

I've just looked at the 1.5.2 docs and realised that this is
what it *says* it does! So it's right according to the docs,
although it's obviously useless as a pathname manipulating
function.

The question now is, do we change both the specification and the
behaviour, which could break existing code, or leave it be and
add a new function which does the right thing?