[Python-Dev] License cleanup

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:56:48 -0400 (EDT)

    GS> Are they using it in their marketing, or simply as an
    GS> underlying driving force for their products?

I'm not sure that JPython is much of a marketing advantage right now,
so AFAIK none of them are actively promoting their use of JPython in
their product.  However, my reading of the second half of item 4 would
allow them to say something like "You can even extend your flapjabs
using our keen JPython-based scripting capabilities".

    GS> If they *are* using it in their marketing, then they have
    GS> exposed themselves to a liability. According to the license
    GS> that they are using, they are not allowed to use JPython in
    GS> their marketing. If they do, then they are in breach of the
    GS> license and it could be terminated on them.  Their products
    GS> could no longer include JPython and they'd be SOL.

I hope that wouldn't really be the case, but it's an interesting
point, so I'm sure we'll bring it up.

-Barry