[Python-Dev] Some thoughts on the codecs...

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:05:55 +0100

> I would propose to only add some very basic encodings to
> the standard distribution, e.g. the ones mentioned under
> Standard Codecs in the proposal:
>
>   'utf-8':		8-bit variable length encoding
>   'utf-16':		16-bit variable length encoding (litte/big endian)
>   'utf-16-le':		utf-16 but explicitly little endian
>   'utf-16-be':		utf-16 but explicitly big endian
>   'ascii':		7-bit ASCII codepage
>   'latin-1':		Latin-1 codepage
>   'html-entities':	Latin-1 + HTML entities;
> 			see htmlentitydefs.py from the standard Pythin Lib
>   'jis' (a popular version XXX):
> 			Japanese character encoding
>   'unicode-escape':	See Unicode Constructors for a definition
>   'native':		Dump of the Internal Format used by Python

I would suggest adding the Dos, Windows and Macintosh standard 8-bit charsets
(their equivalents of latin-1) too, as documents in these encoding are pretty
ubiquitous. But maybe these should only be added on the respective platforms.