[Python-Dev] Interactive Debugging of Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri May 21 07:36:44 CEST 1999

[GvR]
> What kind of limitations do other systems that support modifying a
> "live" program being debugged impose?

As an ex-compiler guy, I should have something wise to say about that.
Alas, I've never used a system that allowed more than poking new values into
vrbls, and the thought of any more than that makes me vaguely ill!  Oh,
that's right -- I'm vaguely ill anyway today.  Still-- oooooh -- the
problems.

This later got reduced to restarting the topmost function from scratch.
That has some attraction, especially on the bang-for-buck-o-meter.

> Please, no more posts about Scheme.  Each new post mentioning call/cc
> makes it *less* likely that something like that will ever be part of
> Python.  "What if Guido's brain exploded?" :-)

What a pussy <wink>.  Really, overall continuations are much less trouble to
understand than threads -- there's only one function in the entire
interface!

OK.  So how do you feel about coroutines?  Would sure be nice to have *some*
way to get pseudo-parallel semantics regardless of OS.

changing-code-on-the-fly-==-mutating-the-current-continuation-ly y'rs  - tim