[Python-Dev] coroutines vs. continuations vs. threads

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Tue May 18 15:46:53 CEST 1999

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Aaron Watters]
> > I guess the question of interest is why are threads insufficient?  I
> > guess they have system limitations on the number of threads or other
> > limitations that wouldn't be a problem with continuations?
>
> Sam is mucking with thousands of simultaneous I/O-bound socket connections,
> and makes a good case that threads simply don't fly here (each one consumes
> a stack, kernel resources, etc).  It's unclear (to me) that thousands of
> continuations would be *much* better, though, by the time Christian gets
> done making thousands of copies of the Python stack chain.

Well, what he needs here are coroutines and just a single frame
object for every minithread (I think this is a "fiber"?).
If these fibers later do deep function calls before they switch,
there will of course be more frames then.

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net