[Python-Dev] Aside: apply syntax

David Ascher da at ski.org
Fri Jun 11 07:35:42 CEST 1999

I've seen repeatedly on c.l.p a suggestion to modify the syntax & the core
to allow * and ** in function calls, so that:

class SubFoo(Foo):
  def __init__(self, *args, **kw):
    apply(Foo, (self, ) + args, kw)

could be written

class SubFoo(Foo):
  def __init__(self, *args, **kw):
    Foo(self, *args, **kw)

I really like this notion, but before I poke around trying to see if it's
doable, I'd like to get feedback on whether y'all think it's a good idea
or not.  And if someone else wants to do it, feel free -- I am of course
swamped, and I won't get to it until after rich comparisons.

FWIW, apply() is one of my least favorite builtins, aesthetically
speaking.

--david