[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Mon Jun 7 19:20:15 CEST 1999

David Ascher writes:
>While we're at it, it'd be nice if we could provide a better answer when
>someone asks (as "they" often do) "how do I program with threads in
>Python" than our usual "the way you'd do it in C".  Threading tutorials
>are very hard to come by, I've found (I got the ORA multi-threaded

     Agreed; I'd love to see a HOWTO on thread programming.  I really
liked Andrew Birrell's introduction to threads for Modula-3; see
http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/SRC/research-reports/abstracts/src-rr-035.html
(Postscript and PDF versions available.)  Translating its approach to
Python would be an excellent starting point.

    "If you had stayed with us, we could have given you life until death."
    "Don't I get that anyway?"
    -- Stheno and Lyta Hall, in SANDMAN #61: "The Kindly Ones:5"