[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

Thu, 9 Dec 1999 01:38:36 -0600 (CST)

    Tim> So while the traditional Windows .ini file (like Unix
    Tim> this-or-that.rc file) model was replaced by the registry for
    Tim> excellent reasons, those reasons don't apply to the way we're using
    Tim> Python!  The .ini file model was exactly right for what most of us
    Tim> seem to want to do, and the registry model is exactly wrong.

Alright!  Now I understand what all the hubbub is about!  My eyes have
mostly been glazing over trying to follow all this Windows registry/path/ini
stuff.  MS believes that Python is the application.  Those of us writing
Python programs view those programs as the applications, not the Python
interpreter per se.  Is there some way that people writing applications in
Python can set up registry entries that are specific to their application
(e.g. tabnanny.py) instead of only specific to the Python interpreter?

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...