[Python-Dev] buffer interface considered harmful

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:05:40 +1000

Fredrik,
	Care to elaborate?  Statements like "buffer interface needs a redesign" or
"the buffer interface is not good enough to use on top of the virtual image
memory interface" really only give me the impression you have a bee in your
bonnet over these buffer interfaces.

If you could actually stretch these statements out to provide even _some_
background, problem statement or potential solution it would help.  All I
know is "Fredrik doesnt like it for some unexplained reason".  You found an
issue with array reallocation - great - but thats a bug rather than a
design flaw.

Can you tell us why its not good enough, and an off-the-cuff design that
would solve it?  Or are you suggesting it is unsolvable?  I really dont
have a clue what your issue is.  Jim (for example) has made his position
and reasoning clear.  You have only made your position clear, but your
reasoning is still a mystery.

Mark.