[Python-cuba] ACTION NEEDED: PSF October Report Due

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:26:32 EDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Betsy Waliszewski <betsy at python.org> wrote:

> Please take a few moments to put together a short paragraph and send it to
> me no later than Wednesday, September 28th.

I'm sorry for not meeting the deadline. Maybe you will understand the
reasons once you read the report .

I have been in the US since October 4th (4th - 7th Dallas TX, 8th - present
Charlotte NC) . One of the goals of my trip was to connect to people /
companies / organizations interested in collaborating with SciPyLA 2017
conference . I'll try to summarize everything that's happened this side .

- Costa Rica ambassador, Jeudy Blanco, visited Havana
  * Discussion with Abel Meneses and Medardo Rodríguez
    (please guys , tell us the conclusions ;)
- I have been able to contact 250 entrepreneurs from every
  Latin American countries so as to explore opportunities to collaborate
  with the business they have in their home countries
- Contacted some businesses interested in collaborating with the conference
  * details in a separate message
- Contacted some universities interested in collaborating with the
conference
  * details in a separate message
- Contacted some incubators/accelerators/co-working businesses
  * details in a separate message
- Attended the Chalotte Python Users Group meetup
  * Shared info about SciPyLA 2017
- Visit to HackerSpace Charlotte
- Attended Hack NC (Chapel Hill NC) as a mentor (Oct 28th - 30th)
  * Possibility to use Capital One's Nessi API to run hackathons during
     the conference
  * I had to travel to Raleigh , then Chapel Hill , then back to Charlotte
    and back again to Chapel Hill on Sunday ...
- SciPyLA 2017 event brochure released [1]_ [4]_
- SciPyLA 2017 call for ambassadors released [2]_
- John Roa assumed the role of SciPyLA Ambassador for Colombia [3]_
- ... many other activities , but I think I'll keep the list short up to
this point .

We need help with this

- Meet with somebody in Microsoft who might be in a position of actually
  making a decision about sponsoring the conference
  * We'd need the arguments for them to be interested in doing so
     (more about this in a separate email)
  * Tomorrow I will attend an event about PPM & Power BI
     in Charlotte Microsoft Campus (2nd in USA after Redmond) .
     It might be a good opportunity for me to reach somebody there .
     Makes sense ? If so any help in that direction will be appreciated.
- We will be launching on the next few days a crowdfunding campaign
  for the SciPyLA 2017 conference and will need all the help we can get
  from the PSF and everyone else so as to advertise it and capture the
  attention and contributions of supporters sympathetic with this idea.
- Suggestions of other companies / communities I should be contacting
  in the next few days
- Please tell us when would be the right time to submit a grant proposal
  for the conference next year.
- Reach key members of the Python community so that the
  Ambassadors can interview them to advertise the work they are
  doing in different fields of Python development, including science,
  technology, open data, ...
  * Developers living in Latin America , or in North America and Europe
- Contacts of speakers interested in attending the event .
  * ... and a way to work together so as to publish video interviews
    in order to advertise the conference and announce their participation
- Contacts of people interested in reviewing paper submissions .
  * Call for reviewers to be released soon .

Feel free to contact me (if you prefer to do so in private message it's ok
for me) to provide me with further details . I'll be in Charlotte NC until
Nov 8th .

.. [1]
https://www.facebook.com/TheCubanTech/photos/a.658424797645428.1073741834.602391173248791/674630086024899/?type=3&theater

.. [2] https://www.facebook.com/TheCubanTech/posts/680733165414591