[PYTHON-CRYPTO] DES3.py on Vista Question

Dwayne C. Litzenberger dlitz at DLITZ.NET
Sun Sep 14 17:55:08 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 07:51:06AM +0200, SUBSCRIBE PYTHON-CRYPTO Anonymous wrote:
>I have invested a significant amount of time in trying to install python
>with the paramiko package on a vista machine.  I installed python 2.5, and
>was able to run some basic commands and import standard packages (e.g. os).
> When I attempt to import paramiko however, I have had many errors, most of
>which seem to have to do with upper and lower case letters from the auto
>install.  I have hacked around by changing the source code, for example:
>from paramiko.folder import file
>from Paramiko.Folder import File

"paramiko" is the correct name of the module.

>At the end of this, I am now receiving the following error:

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "__init__.py", line 69, in <module>
>    from transport import randpool, SecurityOptions, Transport
>  File "transport.py", line 37, in <module>
>    from Paramiko.dsskey import DSSKey
>  File "C:\Python25\Paramiko\dsskey.py", line 31, in <module>
>    from Paramiko.pkey import PKey
>  File "C:\Python25\Paramiko\pkey.py", line 28, in <module>
>    from Crypto.Cipher import DES3
>ImportError: cannot import name DES3
>>>>

>The DES3 error it would seem to me would be because there is no DES3.py in
>my Crypto.Cipher diectory.

There should be no DES3.py, because DES3 is a C module.  Once you build it
using setup.py, there should be a DES3.pyd (".pyd", not ".py") file.

It sounds like your install is really messed up.

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz at dlitz.net>
  Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7