[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Issues compiling M2Crypto against Py2.6 and OpenSSL 0.9.8i on Win32 with MSVC 2008

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg info at EGENIX.COM
Wed Oct 15 00:10:33 CEST 2008

On 2008-10-14 15:41, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
> I migrated to Python 2.6 today and wanted reinstalled all third party
> packages, which I had before on Python 2.5.2. But with M2Crypto 0.19.1 I
> had some problems.
> 1) There are no binary build for Python 2.6, yet. So I decided to build
> my own ones.
> But that lead to more trouble.
> 2) There is a bug in OpenSSL 0.9.8.i, which breaks the build process.
> You have to add a undef to the following block in x509.h:
> #ifdef OPENSSL_SYS_WIN32
> /* Under Win32 these are defined in wincrypt.h */
> #undef X509_NAME
> #undef X509_CERT_PAIR
> #undef X509_EXTENSIONS
> #endif
> From:
> http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1700&user=guest&pass=guest

Here's a patch that fixes those problems:

http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1749&user=guest&pass=guest

> But I had some post building errors, when running my Python programs. It
> seems, that their is at least one incompatibility with Python 2.6,
> namely in the SSLServer. In Python 2.6 the underlying
> SocketServer.BaseServer has a some extra initializing code (events to
> stop serve_forever), which are not initialized in SSLServer (which is a
> hard coded copy of the constructor). My solution would be to change:
>        self.server_address=server_address
>        self.RequestHandlerClass=RequestHandlerClass
> to:
>        SocketServer.BaseServer.__init__(self, server_address,
> RequestHandlerClass)
> which calls the base constructor, to do the standard initialization.

If you only want to use is SSL, I'd suggest to have a look at
pyOpenSSL.

We have native VC9 builds available for Python 2.6:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 15 2008)