[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Python, Windows, OpenSSL and applink.c

Larry Bugbee bugbee at MAC.COM
Thu Mar 22 04:25:06 CET 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 4:00 PM, PYTHON-CRYPTO automatic digest system
wrote:

> The 2.4.4 Windows Binary from www.python.org (.msi) doesn't appear
> to have
> this problem anymore (M2Crypto 0.17), so Guido may be reading this ;o)

Hope springs eternal so I downloaded a fresh copy of
python-2.4.4.msi.  ...and got the same OPENSSL_Applink error, again.
Ugh.  Admittedly I used mingw32 (gcc) to compile M2Crypto and that
may be the problem.  ...which seems odd since mingw32 works nicely
for a fair number of other extensions.  Is anybody in a position to
list what build combinations work and which don't?  (I'm not
equipped; Windows is not my playground.)

I want to distribute Python-OpenSSL apps without asking my users to
recompile Python.  (They won't have a compiler, nor will they know
how to use it even if they did.)  A while back we didn't have this
problem.  ...not until OpenSSL made the change.  Was their decision
really the right one?  Assuming there are good reasons, is there yet
another solution that could satisfy both camps?

Thanks,

Larry