[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Python, Windows, OpenSSL and applink.c (was Execute connect_ssl() twice...)

Daniel Clark dclark at POBOX.COM
Sat Mar 17 17:56:06 CET 2007

On 3/17/07, Larry Bugbee <bugbee at mac.com> wrote:
> > Just in case anyone is interested, this issue is due to the
> > inclusion (or in
> > the case of linux: the exclusion) of applink.c in openssl. When
> > building
> > without using applink.c, the same phenomenon takes place in Windows
> > as it
> > does in Linux. So this is an issue with openssl (and the "need" for
> > rebuilding python using applink.c) not necessarily m2crypto.

I think the m2crypto windows distro was also compiled with a different
compiler than Python for Windows, which also caused an
incompatibility.

> The applink.c problem was identified on this list last Spring.  I'm
> sad to see another manifestation at this late date.  (This seems to
> be a Windows thingy; I am having no problems under OSX nor do I
> recall problems under Linux.)
>
> Windows versions of Python need to be compiled with applink.c
> included in python.c if Python is to talk to OpenSSL, regardless of
> wrapper.  Attempts to build M2Crypto with applink failed because
> OPENSSL_ApplinkTable etc need to be visible from main().
>
> It sure would be nice to be able to distribute Python/OpenSSL apps
> without having to ask every casual Windows user to recompile Python.
> Does it make sense the distribution versions of python.exe be pre-
> built with applink?  ...conditional to windows only.  Yes?  No?  Does
> compiling in applink cause problems elsewhere?
>
> To whom should this be directed?
>
> See also:
>    http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#PROG2
>    http://svn.python.org/projects/external/openssl-0.9.8a/FAQ
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Just an FYI, for some reason this doesn't seem to be an issue with
Windows and NCrypt; here are my notes from trying to get a bunch of
different Python modules that implement RSA encryption to work on
Windows:

http://tachyon.in/pipermail/ncrypt-users/2007-February/000016.html

--
Daniel Clark # http://dclark.us # http://opensysadmin.com