[PYTHON-CRYPTO] PEP 272 version 2

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at BOFH.TORUN.PL
Fri Apr 19 17:41:28 CEST 2002

Bram Cohen wrote/napisał[a]/schrieb:
> Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:
>
> > GNU Privacy Guard has a pluggable block ciphers. SILC has pluggable block
> > ciphers.
>
> Note that those are pluggable ciphers, not pluggable modes - I know of
> nothing which has pluggable modes.

The question was on algirithms. Although SILC definition of 'cipher module'
includes mode as well.

> The consensus I've heard among cryptographers is that these days one
> should use AES and be done with it. Switching to another algorithm in the
> remote case that AES may become obsolete is something which is best done
> only if necessary, I don't think it would involve any less pain dealing
> with it now than later.

Cryptographers, maybe. In real life security engineering as far as I know,
flexibility of a toolkit is a important thing. And remember that Python is a
toolkit, not an application.

Alex
--
C _-=-_ H Janusz A. Urbanowicz, stomil at jabber.org, PGP 0x21939169    *