[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Package name

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at POST1.COM
Mon Nov 26 17:15:22 CET 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:21:06AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Personally, I don't really care, because I'd most probably
> go with an OpenSSL-based crypto driver (that's what I've done
> in the past and most probably will do in the future ;-).

+1 here.

All this talk about drivers, abstract package naming, etc., appears to me
to be an effort to reinvent the Java crypto framework for Python.

Personally, I'm not interested in that.

I'm interested in building applications that use crypto. Ok, for certain
applications, maybe I need to build _some_ foundation, but this will be
higher-level stuff, say, XML-dsig or shared RSA key generation.

Hashes and ciphers? Just pick some existing implementations and go already!

To all those who are awaiting a standardised Python crypto API before
you begin coding your crypto applications, please, just do it.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at post1.com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps