[python-crypto] Add AES to amkCrypto?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Jan 31 15:15:51 CET 2001

"Itamar S.-T." wrote:

> > IMHO the main problem for application and crypto lib
> > developers is
> > the lack of a standard API. Crypto lib developers
> > are designing new
> > APIs every time and application developers have to
> > deal with the
> > different APIs.
> > => there should be a standard class library which
> > abstracts from
> > various algorithms and their implementation etc.
>
> Yeah, this would be very useful. At some point I got a
> Rijndael Python module working based on the twofish
> python code (which BTW last I checked is broken), but
> I ended up doing a lot of cut and pasting. Having some
> code to base this on would have been saved time. Now
> that there's the new AES code this isn't relevant
> anyway, but still.

Again, we already have such a standard API for the
various types of crypto algorithms: the one defined
by Andrew Kuchling which is the basis for amkCrypto. It has
proven useful and general enough to cover most implementation
details which arise when adding a new algorithm to the base.

The API is well documented and amkCrypto can be taken as
reference implementation.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups