[PYTHON-CRYPTO] CSPRNG schemes : Any comments?

Bryan Mongeau bryan at EEVOLVED.COM
Fri Feb 16 04:29:17 CET 2001

> By the "GIL" you mean the Python interpreter lock in ceval.c?  That does
> its swapping purely on user-space instructions, not hardware clock
> cycles.  Seems to me the cryptographers are right.

This is precisely the type of constructive input I was searching for.
"Cycles" was terminology faux pas, I should have used "python virtual
instructions" instead. I believe nevertheless that this thread swarm does
produce true entropy. After all the primary goal of a CSPRNG and cryptography
in general is not to make things impossible to defaet, but so diificult as to
put it beyond everyone's reach.

> > So far this defense has met with little acceptance, but this is to be
> > expected in the crypto field. After all, most cryptographers will still
> > blindly choose RSA over Elliptic Curves simply because they feel safer
> > all sticking together, even though ECC is ten times as fast and has a key
> > size that increases exponentially in security. For example, 160 bit ECC
> > is equivalent to 1024 bit RSA whereas 256 bit ECC roughly equates to 4096
> > bits in RSA.
>
> Oh dear, you're losing credibility fast.

This is not constructive commentary. If you are referring to my CSPRNG
scheme, then granted it is imperfect if used alone. If you are referring to
my key strength approximations (which is what you quoted), then I invite you
to look at:

http://softlab.od.ua/products/ecbackup/info.html

and draw your own conclusions. I admit to an approximation for brevity's sake.
--
Bryan Mongeau

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."-- Einstein