[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Requirements

Rich Salz rsalz at CAVEOSYSTEMS.COM
Wed Feb 14 01:46:40 CET 2001

> If the directory tree is free of clutter or 'helper' python scripts/binary
> python modules, then a search algorithm can be as trivial as a directory
> search.

I don't think so.  I would hope that the python-crypto library includes
implementations that worked with openssl and perhaps a pure-python
implementation.  A simple search will not tell the 3rd-party
crypto-using application which to use.

> I'm a big fan of a key ring. It could be written with shelve.

Does shelve support encrypting the data?  "Putting it in a mode 700
directory" isn't good enough -- a virus or trojan horse could send my
plaintext keyring to an adversary.  Not good.  Win32, arguably the
dominant platform in the world, has the concept of a keystore in its
CryptoAPI.  It would be very nice -- if not a requirement -- that
pycrypto be able to share keys with other windows apps on windows
platforms.

        /r$