[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Requirements

Michael Ströder michael at STROEDER.COM
Mon Feb 12 19:02:49 CET 2001

PC Drew wrote:

> 3. For all those who are interested in actually having formal documents
> describing the "new" (whatever comes out of these discussions) crypto
> standard, can we first discuss high level goals and then go from there?

How about these...

* It has to be possible to register implementation modules by system
configuration to enable an application to use an algorithm or
protocol without knowing in advance which implementation modules are
present. The system's administrator specifies the order of the
registered implementation modules during install time.

* The application has to be able to choose a specific implementation
module at run-time by explicitly specifying an implementation's
name.

* An application which only needs a specific algorithm or protocol
should not have to import a big multi-purpose library.

* The above implies the need for unique identifiers for algorithms,
protocols and vendors throughout the whole class API.

* It has to be possible to define all parameters for algorithms or
protocols through the API. Reasonable defaults should be used
whereever possible.

* At least in debug mode an exception should be raised if the
application passes wrong types of parameters to class methods of the
API.

* Same API for same type of component (e.g. a key store should be
always looking the same to the application)

Ciao, Michael.