[PYTHON-CRYPTO] complete disagreement (*forgot something*)

Dan Parisien dan at eevolved.com
Sun Feb 11 23:44:26 CET 2001

On Domingo 11 Fevereiro 2001 17:29, you wrote:
> Dan Parisien wrote:
> > Plus each crypto algorithm is only written once.
>
> Unfortunately not. Review the discussion OpenSSL vs. pure Python
> implementations. Both sides have valid arguments.

I have. I don't agree with a do-all crypto lib. It breaks modularity. I am
not a big fan of OpenSSL. I don't like the design and I don't like the
nomenclature. OpenSSL is a great product however, it should just not be used
as a base for python crypto. OpenSSL is for SSL interoperability in Python
scripts, it should not be a source for crypto routines (although as a last
resort I would see why you would want that).

If instead it was easy to add a crypto functionality to python, the code
would come. swig isn't hard and there are c optimized routines for most
public domain crypto functions anyways.

However I must reemphasize basing python crypto on standard interfaces like
the random interface and the database interface.

Dan