[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Current state of the art?

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at POST1.COM
Sun Feb 11 16:51:28 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:33:36AM -0500, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> Which reminds me... the socketmodule in Python 2.0 has some very
> simple support for SSL.  See Modules/Setup for how to compile it; 2.1
> alphas should detect OpenSSL and turn on SSL support automatically.
> However, I've been looking at the code recently and am not too
> favorably impressed with it; I'll argue for dropping it from 2.1.  SSL
> is a big API and the code in socketmodule.c only provides very basic
> things.

Aye. I was just looking into producing patches to make its SSL
read()/write() more robust. Making it threading is fine, but async
socket-I/O presents a small problem.

Also, APIs will be needed for SSL contexts and sessions, and X.509
certificate handling within SSL connections, etc.

It is indeed not sensible to plonk the whole thing into the Python
core.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at post1.com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps