[PYTHON-CRYPTO] SIG thoughts.

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at CNRI.RESTON.VA.US
Sun Feb 11 17:26:29 CET 2001

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 06:46:32PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> aes = crypto.find_alg("aes",*args)
>> would be better?
>Yes. If find_alg is a factory it should pass additional parameters
>to the class' __init__() method during object creation.

I like the idea of a registry for crypto functions similar to the one for
Unicode codecs.  Codecs have a flat namespace; do we want find_alg('MD5') or
find_alg('MD5', type='hash') or find_hash_alg('MD5')?  In other words, do we
have to know ahead of time that MD5 is a hash algorithm, or can we get an
instance first without knowing what the algorithm actually does?

>Should be matter of local policy either defined in a global config
>file by a system administrator knowing what to do or defined...

Does someone want to write a proposed interface for the registration and
search functions, and the config file?

--amk