[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Needed: public CVS repository for amkCrypto

Gregory P. Smith greg at ELECTRICRAIN.COM
Mon Apr 2 21:39:31 CEST 2001

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:41:51PM -0400, Andrew Archibald wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 01:24:25AM -0700, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 04:00:51PM -0500, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> > > (lack of time, and partially lack of interest).  An obvious solution
> > > would be to set up a publicly accessible CVS tree somewhere, but
> > > where?  SourceForge is obviously available, but it's inside the US; is
> > > there a SourceForge-like site available in Europe?
> >
> > Just go with sourceforge, the US crypto laws are reasonable these days.
>
> So, this seems to be the common wisdom.  But it's not clear to me that the
> laws really are OK.  As I understand it, the laws haven't changed, but the
> policy has, and it could change back at any moment.
>
> In any case, you should send some mail to exports at crypto.com to announce
> the availability of your source code.
>
> Who gets in trouble?  If you're not an American citizen, it seems like it
> should be SourceForge, in which case they're already at risk.
>
> It would be good to have an international place to put amkCrypto.
>
> Andrew

If sourceforge accepts the project then it is their responsability.
Several other crypto related projects are already hosted there.  If
the us export rules suddenly change for the worse (highly unlikely)
your code will not vanish, you'll just need to find a new server.

-G

--
Gregory P. Smith   gnupg/pgp: http://electricrain.com/greg/keys/
                   C379 1F92 3703 52C9 87C4  BE58 6CDA DB87 105D 9163