[python-committers] Requirements / Guidelines for module maintainers? [was: PEP 594]

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri May 31 16:10:16 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 11:33 AM Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have a non-core dev willing to help maintain the cgi/cgitb modules along
> with myself.
>
> Would this consist of adding the both of us as experts on those modules,
> and then I would be responsible for the mechanics of approving/merging any
> PRs?

I don't think there's anything technically preventing folks who are not
core devs from being added there, but I would expect them to at least be
triagers as they will get nosied on appropriate issues.

>   Assuming this individual does well we should make them a core-dev at
> some point, but presently they have no experience contributing to the
> Python codebase.

I assume it would be the same as what Barry is doing with two other folks
on the 'email' package: treat it like a mentoring situation and if they
work out you an put them forward to become a core dev.