[python-committers] [Python-Dev] PEP 581 (Using GitHub issues for CPython) is accepted

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue May 21 00:28:34 EDT 2019

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:05 PM Xiang Zhang <angwerzx at 126.com> wrote:

> Also, Github has just changed its export control. As an international team, does it affect us and PEP581? Maybe better consult the lawyer first?
>
> http://help.github.com/en/articles/github-and-export-controls

>From a quick non-expert read, that document seems to say that
github.com is subject to the same export control laws as every other
US company, but they don't do much to enforce them. ("Users are
responsible", "Github.com has not been audited", etc.) Can you give
any more details? You said something changed – what was it? Is there a
reason to think that github is different in this respect from any
other platform we might use, including self-hosting? (For better or
worse, the PSF is also a US corporation subject to US law...)

-n