[python-committers] Promote Mark Sapiro and Abhilash Raj as core developers

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Mon May 13 04:14:07 EDT 2019

Hi,

To be honest, my first reaction is the same than Andrew and Antoine: I
don't know these 2 contributors. I didn't see them around the bug
tracker, reviews, nor in commits.

The definition of what is a core developer is still a work-in-progress
:-) The PEP 13 tries to define it:

   https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0013/#the-core-team

I'm no longer sure myself that I can define them. I prefer to repeat
what others say :-) Basically, a core developers is someone who
produces commits :-) That's one definition. Another one is someone who
a very good background to produce very good reviews and mentor
contributors. In which case can we put Mark Sapiro and Abhilash Raj?

Le jeu. 9 mai 2019 à 21:14, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov at gmail.com> a écrit :
> > If you like the way mail.python.org and Mailman (both 2 and 3) Just Work, and are about as reliable as any service can be, we have our wonderful postmasters to thank.  Mark has been a postmaster for years and is currently maintaining GNU Mailman, both as a project and as a service on mpo.  Abhilash maintains the GNU Mailman 3 branch, has been project leader since I retired in that role back in 2017, and also maintains the Mailman 3 instance on mail.python.org.

Having a sustainable Mailman project is great. But how does that
relate to Python itself? Are you talking about the email module? Do
Mark Sapiro and Abhilash Raj plan to maintain the email module?

I found "Mark Sapiro" mentioned in 4 commits (3 in 2013, 1 in 2006).

Abhilash Raj authored 1 commit in 2015 and 1 in 2014: both in the email module.

Sorry, I didn't dig into the bug tracker / GitHub to check if they are
active there.

> > More than that, because of their roles as Mailman developers, they have a deep knowledge of email in general, and in the email package in particular.  As I rarely dabble in the email package these days, and RDM --who did a fantastic job of implementing the new APIs and features in email for Python 3— has also scaled back his involvement, it means that the email package doesn’t get much attention these days.  Both Mark and Abhilash have an interest in helping to maintain the email package moving forward, and both are eminently qualified to do so.

I would prefer to first see them more involved upstream, before
starting to discuss promoting them. They are other contributors who
are way more active than them.

In the meanwhile, they don't have to be core devs to help to maintain
the email module, no?

I'm not sure about giving the core dev status as a recognizition for
their work on a different project. It sounds unfair to contributors
who are working on Python but are not core dev. There are other ways
to recognize valuable persons in the Python community, like the PSF
Community Awards and PSF Fellows.

Victor